This is a wonderful way to teach kids how to meditate. It is combines art therapy with meditation for the greatest amount of benefits! Try it with your play therapy clients too!
The Crayon Box Meditation Art Therapy Technique
This is one of my favorite ways to use art therapy and meditation with young kids and teens. It also works well with adults who have difficulty mastering the art of meditation.
Materials Needed for The Art Therapy Crayon Box Meditation:
1 Box of New Crayons (24 Pieces)
Sharpie Marker in Black
Directions for the Art Therapy Crayon Box Meditation:
1. If an art therapy client, or student, is willing to try some meditation ask them to open a new box of crayons. The twenty four set box works best for this art therapy meditation technique as it has enough colors to offer your art therapy client / student.
2. Suggest that the art therapy client, or student, pick one color crayon and pull it out of the box before beginning the meditation activity. Allow the art therapy client / student time to process which color they want for the art therapy meditation.
3. Once the colored crayon is chosen for the art therapy meditation activity, remove the wrapping around the crayon. As the wrapper is being removed ask the art therapy client / student to think of one positive word that the colored crayon reminds them of. This is actually the beginning of the art therapy meditation.
*Note: You can write any negative words on the ripped part of the crayon wrapping and throw away. This will be a sense of “The Phoenix Rising from the Ashes,” as the negative is thrown away and the crayon only accepts the positive word.
4. Write the word that was chosen in the “unwrapping part” of the art therapy meditation on the crayon with the sharpie marker. If black is chosen use white out.
*For example, today, one of my art therapy clients chose the color pink. As she was unwrapping the crayon during the beginning of her art therapy meditation, she came up with the word “loved”. She then wrote the word “loved” on her crayon.
5. Next, ask the art therapy client / student to draw a picture with this “named crayon” as part of the meditation activity. See “One Color Drawing Art Therapy Activity” above.
6. Give the crayon, the crayon box, and the “One Color Drawing Art Therapy Paper” to the client to take with them. The client can refer back to the crayon and use it during the day to meditate on the color and positive word. They can also choose other colors in the box to meditate upon.
Learn More About Art Therapy Techniques Below:
Read the pages posted at Creative Counseling 101 on art therapy.
3. Continue to seek training as a art / counseling therapist.
House-Tree-Person Art Therapy Technique
Catastrophe Scale in Art Therapy Activity
What do the colors mean in Art Therapy & Color Psychology?
Shelter House Art Therapy Technique
Art Therapy Group Counseling Activity Worksheet
Art Therapy Family Portrait Drawing
Art Therapy Self-Portrait
Art Therapy Assessment Drawing Technique
Art Therapy Interpreting Drawings
Get More Ideas Here: Creative Counseling 101 Home
Anger Management & Art Therapy Crinkled Paper Technique
Art Therapy Counseling Pictionary
Art Therapy Christmas Tree Drawing & World
The Three Animals Art Therapy Technique
The Kinetic Family Drawing Art Therapy Technique/a>
The Kinetic School Drawing Art Therapy Technique/a>
String of Lights Art Therapy & Genogram Drawing Technique
Art Therapy / Meet in the Middle Activity
Art Therapy / Anger Mangement Angry Snowball Technique
Adult / Child Coloring Book Page Meditation: Paradise Island Technique
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
"Beyond Art Therapy" is the concept from Dr. Stangline that combines all creative fields in therapy. It is not the traditional "art therapy" but goes beyond to include sand tray therapy, play therapy, mindfulness, meditation, color therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and a vast majority of other therapies.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
New!!! "Beyond Art Therapy" 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Beyond Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: