Art Therapy Drawing Technique:
This is a fun and creative way to do a family portrait, or family genogram for your clients and students. You can add a Christmas Tree as the base for your tree lights if you wish.
Analyze the colors of the lights as part of your interpretation for art therapy. See the “Color Psychology” link below.
Materials for Art Therapy Project:
Legal Size Paper
Directions for Art Therapy Technique Project:
1. Ask you client / student to draw a squiggle line that they will soon draw tree lights on. Show them a string of holiday lights and explain that all families are connected, sometimes in the same way.
2. Next, ask your client / student to use their thumb to make the light bulbs. Encourage them to make different colors to represent different family members. Using a marker, color your thumb and stamp it on the string of lights.
3. Talk to the client / student, about the light bulbs. Who represents each light bulb? Are they close together? Who is next to who on the string of lights?
4. You can also create a Christmas tree drawing and add the lights to this tree.
5. Explain to your client / student, that some lights shine brighter than others in families.
As with all tree lights some lights won't work. It is interesting to see where each light falls on the tree. Is it on the top, middle, or bottom of the tree?
6. This can also be used for Friendship & Social Skills. It can also be used as a unique and different genogram.
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: