Art Counseling / Art Therapy
Three Animal Drawing
An Art Therapy Technique adapted by Creative Counseling 101
I first came across this old counseling art therapy technique during my internship in graduate school. I remember I got so excited because this was the only art therapy technique my internship supervisor ever taught me!
I forgot about this art therapy technique over the years until a wonderful counselor recently reminded me of it. This is similar to the House, Tree, Sun, Water, Animal art therapy technique that I have on my site, however, it is a bit different.
I apologize that I do not know where it came from. I tried to find it on the internet, but did not have any luck.
Basically, to do this wonderful art therapy activity the therapist, or school counselor, will ask the client / student to draw three animals of their own choosing.
The first animal drawn will be a representation of how others see the client / student.
The second animal drawn will be the representation of how you view yourself.
The third animal drawn will represent what you want to become, or your potential in life.
I love this exercise because it taps into the deeper layers of the psyche. This art therapy / art counseling technique can be used by therapist and school counselors.
If you are using it as a school counselor simply modify it and do not let it cross the “therapy line.”
If you are a therapist you can take this art therapy / art counseling activity to a deeper level and process the animals in depth. In therapy, and even on a lighter scale in school counseling, you can translate the animals in the “Symbols Dictionary”, or “www.Dream Dictionary.com”.
It is amazing to me how true to life drawings are. These art therapy / art counseling drawings can be added to your data collection and make excellent “memory jogger” notes in therapy and school counseling.
Materials Needed for the Three Animals Art Therapy / Art Counseling Technique Drawing
Crayons, Markers, Colored Pencils
Paper (I prefer the larger legal size paper)
“Symbols Dictionary” found on Amazon. I prefer the one from Penguin Press.
Directions for the Art Therapy / Art Counseling Technique Drawing:
1. Ask your client / student to draw three animals on the worksheet below.
2. Allow the client / student time to draw the animals. I always give them some space when they are drawing and ask them to let me know when they are finished.
I make sure they know I am available, but might skim through e-mails. I am always sitting nearby and ready to talk to them about their drawing.
3. After they draw the drawing and tell me they are finished we discuss the drawing. I ask them why they drew each animal and jot down their reaction. We process each animal drawn together and I ask how this animal’s characteristics could possibly fit into their own life.
4. After the therapy session, I translate the animal in the” Symbol’s Dictionary” or at “www.DreamMoods.com.” I don’t always share this translation with the client, but might process some of the translations that fit on a later date.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: