I use this art therapy drawing tool as a school counselor, and a private therapist. It gives me a unique perspective of the client / student’s view of their school life.
This art therapy drawing is often called The Kinetic School Drawing Test. I do not call this a “test” per say, but offer it to the client / student as an activity to gauge what their opinion is about school.
Materials for the Kinetic School Drawing Art Therapy Activity:
- Several sharpened pencils
- At least 8 different colored crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- A few sheets of white paper (Use in landscape setting)
Directions for the Kinetic School Drawing Art Therapy Activity:
1. Make sure the client / student is in a comfortable position in a safe and quiet place. I have a special table set up with buckets of art supplies.
This art supply table is right next to my desk. I also have a lamp next to the desk as it softens the atmosphere. I do not like bright and glaring light for my sessions. Sometimes, I even play meditation music.
2. Place white paper in the horizontal position. Offer at least eight different colors of crayons, colored pencils, or markers to the client / student.
3. Comment on how this is not a drawing test, however, you need the client / student to draw out the figures and not use stick figures.
4. Also, state that there is no time limit on the Kinetic School Drawing.
5. Ask the client / student to, “Draw a picture of yourself at school. Make sure to add your teacher and at least a couple of other students to the picture.
Make sure to have everyone doing something in the drawing. Try to draw all the people, including you, in full form (again no stick drawings).
Disclaimer for the Kinetic School Drawing Activity:
This is one piece of the “therapy puzzle”. You should offer your client / student many activities through art, sand tray, talk therapy, play therapy, etc. The Kinetic School Drawing should only one aspect of the client’s treatment plan.
This should only be used by licensed mental health professionals or certified school counselors.
Copyright (c) 2015 by Creative Counseling 101.com
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: