Art Therapy & Play Therapy Counseling Technique
Create a Christmas tree World
Have your art therapy clients / students draw a Christmas tree world during the holiday season.
This is also a great play therapy activity with miniatures.
Markers, Crayons, Paper, Glitter, Glue, Confetti
1. Ask your client / student to draw a Christmas tree in a home setting as an art therapy technique.
2. Have extra materials on hand to decorate the art therapy tree. I often have extra ribbon, tinsel, glitter, and confetti on hand for this project.
3. Allow the client / student to spend some time on the Christmas tree world art therapy technique drawing.
4. When your client / student has finished discuss the art therapy drawing.
5. See possible questions below:
- What does the tree look like? Is it large, small, and centered on the page? Is it grounded on the page? Are there branches? What color is it?
- Are there tree ornaments on the tree?
- What is the environment like around the tree? Is it warm and inviting? Cold and Sterile?
- Are their presents under the tree? Who are they for?
- What other items are drawn in this art therapy world? Discuss and explore.
Notes about the Art Therapy & Counseling Technique:
- The tree represents the family, or friend, relationships. It can also translate to “spiritual enlightenment.
- The world around the tree will tell you what the client / student’s phenomenological world is like.
- Presents around the tree represent the positive mindset of the client. It can also mean unexpected pleasures, or demands. Another translation might be unrecognized skills, or talents.
- Food represents care and nurturing of the self. It can also represent care from others.
- Christmas stockings can mean expectations and the need to be recognized and praised.
- A fireplace with a fire means a “warm and happy world”. A cold atmosphere drawing represents a “cold and uncaring world.”
Play Therapy Ideas: Create a miniature world in 3-D on a plate with miniatures.See More Art Therapy Ideas Here
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
"Beyond Art Therapy" is the concept from Dr. Stangline that combines all creative fields in therapy. It is not the traditional "art therapy" but goes beyond to include sand tray therapy, play therapy, mindfulness, meditation, color therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and a vast majority of other therapies.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
New!!! "Beyond Art Therapy" 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Beyond Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: