The colors of the Art Therapy Shelter House also hold significance. Below you will find the basic breakdown of each color Shelter House:
Grey: Grief, or hidden grief, Mourning, Depression
Blue: Sadness, Depression, Peacefulness, Calmness
Red: Anger, Danger, Courage, Luck
Black: Fear, Death
White: Hope, Spirituality, Purity
Yellow: Happiness, caution
Light Green: Anxiety, Stress
Materials Needed for Art Therapy Shelter House Technique:
You will need copies of the Shelter House in different colors. I usually print out several colors of the house and display these on a table for the client to select.
Markers, Crayons, or Colored Pencils
Directions for Art Therapy Shelter House Technique:
1. Allow the client / student to pick one of the Shelter House Therapy House print outs.
2. Ask the client to draw a scenario, situation, presenting issue, past issue in and around the house.
3. Once the client / student has drawn in and around the house start to ask questions about the meanings of the drawings.
Things to pay attention to with the Art Therapy Shelter House Technique:
- The color of the Shelter House chosen.
- The items drawn inside the house.
- The items drawn outside of the house.
- The level of the house in which the items are drawn.
- Any architectural details added to the house such as a chimney, windows, doors, paths.
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: