Learn to bring creativity in the play therapy game process and save money by making your own play therapy games. Play therapy clients will love making the game with you.
You can customize each play therapy game to fit the needs of each play therapy client. It will also make you a better play therapist in the long run!
Here is an example of "Chess Play Therapy Board".
Play Therapy Games How To:
Play therapy games are a great way for a play therapist, or a school counselor, to teach social, emotional, problem solving, empathy, conflict resolution, and other life skills.
Children love games and learn well from playing skill building games. The most important aspect of a play therapy game verses a regular game is that there should be no losers.
Everyone wins in a play therapy game because every player learns a valuable tool. The therapist wants to make sure they also win in the game.
Even a young child can pick up “mellow manipulation” from fixing a game to allow someone to win. Play Therapist will want to avoid this due to the high costs of destroying trust in the relationship.
Children also love to create new play therapy games. If you allow a child to contribute to the play therapy game making process you will help that child build a stronger self-esteem.
Making play therapy games for your clients is actually fun and it saves you a lot of money.
So, don’t spend big bucks on play therapy games, go and make one yourself! Let us teach you how!
Make Your Own Play Therapy Game
Materials Needed: Poster or Colored Card Stock
Markers or Paint Your Great Idea For A Play Therapy Game Dye & Tokens
1. Based on the needs of your clients create a play therapy game that has a clear goal with a purpose.
2. Make sure the play therapy game is a win win game. Do not allow anyone, including the therapist, to lose.
3. Give a title to your play therapy game. Sometimes, if you start with the “big picture” it is easier to break the game down.
4. Pick a theme for your play therapy game. It is often helpful to pick a theme the client can respond to, or that is age appropriate.
5. Add tokens that relate to the play therapy game if you need to have tokens to move around for your game idea.
6. Add activity cards that explain what to do in the play therapy game.
7. Make clear and precise rules so the child is not confused (boundaries) in the play therapy game.
8. Make it colorful and above all fun! That is what play therapy games are all about! Therapy becomes fun and clients want to come back to see you for the next play therapy session.
Sometimes it takes actually playing the game to work the kinks out. Try it with another counselor first so that you can make sure the game works and does not frustrate your client.
See More PlayTherapy Games Here
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
"Beyond Art Therapy" is the concept from Dr. Stangline that combines all creative fields in therapy. It is not the traditional "art therapy" but goes beyond to include sand tray therapy, play therapy, mindfulness, meditation, color therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and a vast majority of other therapies.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
New!!! "Beyond Art Therapy" 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Beyond Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: