· STOP doing, what you are doing, if it is causing a problem.
· THINK of another better choice of behavior.
· TELL yourself to make the better choice.
· REWARD yourself for making a better choice.
To RESOLVE CONFLICTS
· Take a calm, rational approach to the situation.
· Actively listen to the other people involved.
· Express your feelings using the guide above
· Acknowledge the other points of view that are expressed.
· State your willingness to negotiate and compromise.
· Find a solution that is beneficial to all the people involved.
BEING ASSERTIVE NOT AGGRESSIVE:
· LOOK at the other person.
· SPEAK with a calm low voice. Don’t yell.
· STAY relaxed. Use the strategies for self-control outlined above.
· Clearly STATE your opinion.
· Be sure to AVOID emotional terms.
· LISTEN to the views of others.
One will also need to analyze the student’s behavior to determine what is controlling the behavior.
A good explanation of how to do a functional behavior analysis in contained in the paper “Addressing Student Behavior: An IEP Team’s Introduction to Functional Behavioral Assessment and Behavior Intervention Plans.”
By the Center for effective Collaboration and Practice. The paper stresses that you are looking for triggers. You are therefore looking for the students behavior, feelings and thought patterns.
The key questions are is the problem linked to a skill deficit or is there a lack of desire to modify the behavior. Ask is it possible the student is uncertain about the appropriateness of the behavior?
Does the student find anything to value in engaging in the appropriate behavior? Is the student trying to avoid a low interest or demanding task? Does the student consider current rules, routines, or expectations irrelevant.
In other words what is the payoff? What is the student getting out or the behavior? What does she obtain, escape, or avoid by acting the way he or she acts? One may
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: