One may interview teachers, parents, or others. One may also directly observe the student and record the behaviors. When this is done the Anticedent-Behavior-Consiquence (ABC) approach should be used.
An example form for this is included as appendix E. The what did I want questionnaire and the emotions underlying anger may help in answering some of these questions.
For problem students you should analyze each incident using the Behavior observation form(appendix E), What did I want form(appendix B), and the emotions underlying anger form(appendix C).
Then use the behavior assessment matrix (appendix F) to look for patterns. You should also use the self-assessment (appendix A) to help determine any emotional reactions you may be having that may result in actions on your part which may inadvertently be maintaining the behavior.
Be sure to answer the question what did the student get out of the behavior. What did he escape, avoid, or obtain by behaving like he or she did.
Summary Action Plan
1. Determine ways to use all five love languages with your children or students and then begin using them.
2. Determine the primary languages for those children or students who have difficult behavior problems. Enlist the parent in this if possible. At the same time use a functional behavioral analysis to determine what is controlling the behavior.
3. Determine ways you react to your children/students. Especially those who have problem behaviors.
4. Use proactive teaching to teach appropriate behavior. You can use the intention questionnaire as a teaching tool. Also use the anger sheet to determine what is behind the anger for anger management.
5. Use corrective teaching and crisis teaching as needed for the anger management.
6. Give yourself feed back regarding how this is working towards the anger management.
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: