Free Activity with Printable Material
Nightmare / Night Terror Dungeon
Prevent Nightmares and Night Terrors from happening each night.
Children can put their nightmare, or fear, in a castle dungeon room and lock it up for the night.
This nightmare and night terror prevention activity will help the child to stop thinking about a nightmare, or fear.
Materials Needed for Nightmare/Night Terror Prevention Activity :
Nightmare Dungeon Worksheets Below
Markers or Crayons
Directions for Nightmare / Night Terror Prevention Activity:
1. Ask the child to identify a disturbing nightmare or fear that may be causing them distress.
2. Have the child draw a representation of the nightmare in the doorway of the dungeon on the worksheet below.
3. After the drawing is completed have the child talk about the nightmare or fear.
4. When the discussion is complete ask the child if they want to lock up the nightmare, or fear.
5. If they want to lock up the nightmare or fear have the child cut out the door, door latch, lock, and key on the second worksheet. Glue the door, latch, and lock over the nightmare, or fear picture.
6. Give the child the key picture. Tell them it is up to them if they want to open the door and allow the nightmare or fear back into their thoughts.
Offer to keep the drawing locked up in your file cabinet. I always tell them that if they want the nightmare or fear back, I will give it to them.
*So far, no one has ever asked me to give back their nightmare, or fear. It helps to have the parent, or therapist, lock up the fear in a safe place.
Draw / Write your nightmare or fear in the Nightmare Doorway below:
Nightmare Door: Cut out the door, door latch, lock and key below. Glue each item to the dungeon doorway.
Copyright 2014 (c) by Creative Counseling 101.com
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: