Theater Play Therapy Masks
Sometimes we hide our true feelings behind an imaginary mask.
This play therapy mask activity is a good way to identify feelings that are hidden and have formed into a mask.
Masks keep our authentic selves from shining through and cause us to build walls between others.
People can see masks we put on and this can lead to mistrust from others.
There are some feelings we let everybody see and other feelings we try to hide.
The feelings we try to hide can become a “mask” if we continue to ignore or stuff them within.
Materials for Play Therapy Mask:
Paper for creating masks
Mask Cut outs
Glitter Glue Gems
Feathers Markers Other Craft Materials
Directions for Play Therapy Mask:
1. Identify one or more feelings that are hidden and blocked. Do you think these feelings have become a mask that you wear?
Create a play therapy mask that represents one of the feelings using the art materials listed above.
2. Cut out a mask of choice. Decorate the mask and give the mask a name and write it on the inside of the mask. Examples of mask cutouts are below.
3. After the play therapy client has decorated and named the mask after a hidden feeling ask them to sit and look at the mask for a few minutes.
4. Ask the play therapy client to discuss the below questions:
- How does this mask protect you?
- How does the mask keep you from being your authentic self?
- What does holding onto this mask offer you. What do you get from this mask?
- Who do you lift the mask off for? Why do you take the mask off for this person?
- When do you put the mask on? When do you take the mask off?
- How does this mask help you? How does it hurt you?
- What needs to happen to change the mask?
- How do you feel when you wear the mask?
- Do you get tired when you wear the mask?
- How can you take the mask off and still feel safe?
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Learn how to be a more Creative Counselor / Therapist with the book that started it all!
Learn step by step therapy with over fifty-five creative counseling and therapy techniques and activities. Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award, 2012
Download Your Copy Today
The Creative Counseling 101
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95).
Your complete set includes: Creative Counseling 101 Creative Group Counseling 101 Creative Play Therapy 101 Creative Sand Tray Therapy 101
Order Your Complete eBook Set Today by Clicking The Link Below:
Only $98.95 for all four eBooksSee Complete Set of ALL eBooks For Sale
Get a year's worth of school counselor's guidance lessons, character education words, and social stories! Complete with lesson plans and behavior incentives.
This ebook includes 252 pages of step by step group therapy ideas for school counselors and professional therapists.
Group topics include grief, anger management, friendship, self-esteem, positive behavior, and stress management with colorful, reproducible worksheets.
Download Your Copy Today (See Below Link):
Creative Small Group Counseling 101 eBook
Learn about the creative sand tray therapy process. This is an exact replica of the graduate sand tray therapy class I teach at a major university in Atlanta. You get 147 pages of creative ways to do sand tray therapy. Also included are colorful, reproducible worksheets for your clients to use and take home.
Buy it today for only $39.95Sand Tray Therapy eBook Information and Order Form
You can now learn everything I teach to graduate counseling students with this Creative Play Therapy eBook. The eBook has 25 sessions (181 pages) with step by step colored lesson plans and reproducible worksheets. Learn how to use the play therapy doll house, puppets, miniatures, miniature worlds, the sand tray, and more! If you work with children or teens then this book is a must have item for your practice.
Download your Play Therapy 101 eBook today!
eBook Play Therapy Book only $39.99
More Information for the Play Therapy eBook & Order Form
Learn how to deal with bullies and mean teasers the emotionally intelligent way! Click the link below for more information: