Ask your play therapy client to draw themselves as an animal.
Make sure you point out that the animal should relate to the feelings the client has experienced that day or week.
Animals can change from day to day based on the “mood” or “feelings” the client is experiencing. Translate the animal in the Symbols dictionary.
Ask the play therapy client to translate the feelings to the symbol of the animal.
Materials for Play Therapy Animal Self-Portrait:
Markers, Paint, or Crayons
Directions for Play Therapy Animal Self-Portrait:
1. Use this play therapy art activity after you have processed the "feelings" the play therapy client has had that day, or during the week.
2. Ask the play therapy client to draw an animal that represents the feeling(s) they have been experiencing and discussed in play therapy.
3. Give the play therapy client time to draw the animal.
4. After the play therapy client has drawn the animal discuss how the "feelings" relate to the animal.
5. Translate the animal in the Symbols Dictionary book or look on-line. You may want to look up the animal on the Dream Dictionary website.
6. Ask the play therapy client how they feel about the translation from the Symbols Dictionary or the Dream Dictionary website. Does any part of the translation make sense to them?
7. Try drawing other animals to represent other feelings. The play therapist will need to note that the animals can change based on the feelings that are experienced.
8. This play therapy activity is a great way to warm up to the Sand Tray and other miniature work.
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Learn how to be a more Creative Counselor / Therapist with the book that started it all!
Learn step by step therapy with over fifty-five creative counseling and therapy techniques and activities. Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award, 2012
Download Your Copy Today
The Creative Counseling 101
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95).
Your complete set includes: Creative Counseling 101 Creative Group Counseling 101 Creative Play Therapy 101 Creative Sand Tray Therapy 101
Order Your Complete eBook Set Today by Clicking The Link Below:
Only $98.95 for all four eBooksSee Complete Set of ALL eBooks For Sale
Get a year's worth of school counselor's guidance lessons, character education words, and social stories! Complete with lesson plans and behavior incentives.
This ebook includes 252 pages of step by step group therapy ideas for school counselors and professional therapists.
Group topics include grief, anger management, friendship, self-esteem, positive behavior, and stress management with colorful, reproducible worksheets.
Download Your Copy Today (See Below Link):
Creative Small Group Counseling 101 eBook
Learn about the creative sand tray therapy process. This is an exact replica of the graduate sand tray therapy class I teach at a major university in Atlanta. You get 147 pages of creative ways to do sand tray therapy. Also included are colorful, reproducible worksheets for your clients to use and take home.
Buy it today for only $39.95Sand Tray Therapy eBook Information and Order Form
You can now learn everything I teach to graduate counseling students with this Creative Play Therapy eBook. The eBook has 25 sessions (181 pages) with step by step colored lesson plans and reproducible worksheets. Learn how to use the play therapy doll house, puppets, miniatures, miniature worlds, the sand tray, and more! If you work with children or teens then this book is a must have item for your practice.
Download your Play Therapy 101 eBook today!
eBook Play Therapy Book only $39.99
More Information for the Play Therapy eBook & Order Form
Learn how to deal with bullies and mean teasers the emotionally intelligent way! Click the link below for more information: