By: Dr. Michelle Stangline
Rationale: I discovered this technique when I was training my puppy. She would lunge at cars when we were walking. This became very dangerous and she almost got us both killed one day.
So, I tried this animal behavior therapy technique using a dog treat. When a car approached I would give her a calm warning. If she stayed calm as the car passed I would give her a treat with praise.
She started to behave when I gave her a warning, and then a treat for her good behavior. Then, I thought, “How can I apply this technique in a way that is appropriate for children?”
After much thought, I came up with the “crayon box” and began to apply this technique to students in the classroom.
Teachers liked the idea and started using this technique on their most disruptive students. We started to see student behavior improving. Basically, this is behavior therapy moving extrinsic behavior to intrinsic behavior.
Show the student a box of crayons, markers, or colored pencils. Explain to them that you want to give the box to them. However, they will need to earn the box crayon by crayon.
Other Considerations & Recommendations:
* You may want to start with a set of 8 to ten crayons, markers, or colored pencils, especially for younger children.
* Never take away a crayon, marker, or colored pencil if it has been earned.
* The student can also be given a journal for drawing out their frustrations, anger, and sadness. The crayons, markers, or colored pencils are fun to use with this journal.
* Other sets of items can also be earned in this manner. Once you finish with one boxed set, you can offer a different type of drawing set. This keeps this technique fresh and the students won’t get tired of it.
* This technique is great for Response to Intervention data collection. You now have a log and can chart how many “sets” the student earns.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: