Let me teach you how to do Sand Tray Therapy the way I teach counseling graduate school students at a major counseling university!
I encourage my sand tray therapy students to start with simple tools to begin sand tray therapy. Sand tray therapy takes a lot of training and experience.
However, having some basic ingredients in the Creative Counseling room can help you learn more about this tool and then seek out additional sand tray therapy training.
Materials for Sand Tray Therapy Training:
1. Rectangular Cooking Tray Tin
2. Clean White Play Sand
3. Beginning Plastic Miniatures in Bags (Army Men, Dinosaurs, Jungle Animals, Farm Animals, Bugs, Sea Animals)
4. Blue Spray Paint
Directions for Sand Tray Therapy Training:
1. Spray the inside bottom and sides of the cooking tin blue. Allow to dry. This will represent water. You now have a basic sand tray therapy starter tray!
2. Add the clean play sand to the sand tray therapy tray.
3. Place thesand tray therapy miniatures in clear plastic bins or clear plastic shoe boxes. Label each sand tray therapy miniature genre with a label maker.
4. Children, and adult, sand tray therapy clients often like to touch the sand. Allow the sand tray therapy client to touch and play in the sand with the miniatures. Boys will like to create war scenes with the army men. Girls will be attracted to the farm animal horses.
5. Ask the sand tray therapy client if they would like to create a picture in the sand tray. This is the same process as asking the sand tray therapy client to draw a picture.
6. For school counseling I use the sand tray therapy part to re-enact bullying issues the sand tray therapy client might be dealing with.
I also use it as a tool to help sand tray therapy clients, or students, re-enact a scene to make it a more positive one, for instance, "What would you have done differently, or what would you do next time?".
7. I urge you to seek additional sand tray therapy training if you see that you have clients that want to use sand tray therapy. A Creative Counselor seeks additional training based on the needs of the sand tray therapy client.
8. Continue to build your sand tray therapy collection slowly. A good sand tray therapy collection is not built overnight. Also use clip art miniatures for the sand tray therapy process.
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Learn how to be a more Creative Counselor / Therapist with the book that started it all!
Learn step by step therapy with over fifty-five creative counseling and therapy techniques and activities. Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award, 2012
Download Your Copy Today
The Creative Counseling 101
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95).
Your complete set includes: Creative Counseling 101 Creative Group Counseling 101 Creative Play Therapy 101 Creative Sand Tray Therapy 101
Order Your Complete eBook Set Today by Clicking The Link Below:
Only $98.95 for all four eBooksSee Complete Set of ALL eBooks For Sale
Get a year's worth of school counselor's guidance lessons, character education words, and social stories! Complete with lesson plans and behavior incentives.
This ebook includes 252 pages of step by step group therapy ideas for school counselors and professional therapists.
Group topics include grief, anger management, friendship, self-esteem, positive behavior, and stress management with colorful, reproducible worksheets.
Download Your Copy Today (See Below Link):
Creative Small Group Counseling 101 eBook
Learn about the creative sand tray therapy process. This is an exact replica of the graduate sand tray therapy class I teach at a major university in Atlanta. You get 147 pages of creative ways to do sand tray therapy. Also included are colorful, reproducible worksheets for your clients to use and take home.
Buy it today for only $39.95Sand Tray Therapy eBook Information and Order Form
You can now learn everything I teach to graduate counseling students with this Creative Play Therapy eBook. The eBook has 25 sessions (181 pages) with step by step colored lesson plans and reproducible worksheets. Learn how to use the play therapy doll house, puppets, miniatures, miniature worlds, the sand tray, and more! If you work with children or teens then this book is a must have item for your practice.
Download your Play Therapy 101 eBook today!
eBook Play Therapy Book only $39.99
More Information for the Play Therapy eBook & Order Form
Learn how to deal with bullies and mean teasers the emotionally intelligent way! Click the link below for more information: