Rationale for Anger Management Activity: This is a great activity technique for kids (Adults too!)who need help with anger management. I use it in a group or with individual students or clients. My thought is that if you can laugh about something that makes you angry you release it in a healthier way.
This anger management activity can be done in as little as 30 minutes and is great for school counselors or private therapists to use.
Materials Needed for Anger Management Activity:
Small Tin Buckets (Find these at the Home Depot Stores or builder stores for about a buck.)
White paper (This is your snowball)
Directions for Anger Management Activity:
1. After processing what the actual anger is with your student or clients ask them to write the anger down on a piece of the white paper.
2. Ask your client or student if they would like to release the anger they wrote down in a way that won't hurt them or someone else. If they agree ask them to crumble up the white paper into a ball. Place the ball into the bucket.
3. Go back to step one and write down some more angry feelings on several sheets of paper. Crumble up each piece of paper into a ball. Place each ball into the bucket until the bucket is filled.
4. Process with your client or student and discuss "healthy ways to release anger" verses "unhealthy ways" to release anger. This is the key to anger management. We need to help our clients / students learn ways to release the anger that is positive and helpful.
5. If you are using the anger management activity technique in a group ask all members if they would like to have a snowball fight. Go over rules such as no "whipping" the ball at someone, or getting too close to someone else. I always pull out some sunglasses and hats and scarves for each person to wear. This keeps one from getting a paper cut or hurting an eyeball. It also makes it more realistic, especially if one is using this indoors.
6. Break up your group into two teams. Give a lot of space and ask participants to throw their anger in a snowball fight. If you only have one client you may wish to cut out a snowman from a poster board and throw the snowballs at the snowman. Some participants will want to hit the snowman only. Offer both ways to participants.
Extension for Anger Management Activity Technique: If you have extra time offer to let the participants decorate their tin bucket with acrylic paint. Make sure you allow the paint to dry before the snowball fight.
*Special Note: It is up to the counselor or therapist to clean up the snowballs. This is based on the sand tray theory that the client does not break down the sand tray. Once the client / student has released their anger in a healthy way they are not responsible for the clean up. Especially if you are getting paid!
I hope you have fun with this anger management activity. If you try to laugh when you are angry it is very hard to stay angry. The next time you get angry and need to utilize your anger management skills add a little fun to the process. I promise you that you will not be able to stay angry for long!
Anger Management Home
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
"Beyond Art Therapy" is the concept from Dr. Stangline that combines all creative fields in therapy. It is not the traditional "art therapy" but goes beyond to include sand tray therapy, play therapy, mindfulness, meditation, color therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and a vast majority of other therapies.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
See Creative Counseling 101 eBook Information Here:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
See Complete Set of eBooks For Sale Here:
New!!! "Beyond Art Therapy" 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Beyond Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information:
Warm & Fuzzy School Counselor Guidance Lessons eBook