After working as a play therapist, sand tray therapist, creative counselor, and school counselor for over fifteen years I have finally discovered the most effective way to work with my clients and students!
I have named this new play therapy "Shelter Therapy". It incorporates all of the above therapies and condenses them into a brief therapy that truly works!
With play therapy and sand tray therapy all types of materials and tools are required. It can take years to build your collection of play therapy toys and sand tray therapy miniatures. These tools can also take up a tremendous amount of space as well! And lets not talk about the expenses for purchasing all the materials.
With my new play therapy "Shelter Therapy" the therapist can start out with one "Shelter Therapy House". I have worked with a talented woodworker to build a regulation "Shelter House" that can hold the clients / students emotions in a safe environment of space.
By using "color psychology" these "Shelter Houses" allow the client / student to disclose their feelings and moods in a unique outlet. The "Shelter House" can be purchased in an array of colors to match the many feelings and moods of your clientele.
Another addition to the "Shelter House Therapy Technique" is the Warm Fuzzy Feeling Balls. These balls are generic feelings that the client / student can add to the house.
In using the "Shelter House Therapy Technique" the therapist can get to the source of the client's issues faster than any other therapy. It can be used for children, teens, and adults. This is a "Brief Therapy" that truly works.
Using a different Shelter Therapy / Doll House, the play therapy client can express what they are feeling. Each doll house is a different color and may represents a certain "feeling". The colors are grey (grief), blue (sadness) red (anger), yellow (happiness), black (fear), and green (jealousy or nature).
The shelter / doll house format of the house is brought to this activity by keeping the doll house shape simple and similar to the other doll houses. The front and back are open. There is no furniture in the shelter house / doll house. These items may be added later if the client, or student, chooses.
Basically, the play therapy client is building a doll house world from scratch. This is where the therapy magic comes into play.
Ideally, this is an excellent way to allow your play therapy client to custom build their own play therapy Doll House / Shelter House. The play therapy client will pick which colored doll house they wish to use as a play therapy activity.
After choosing the colored Shelter House / Doll House of choice, the play therapy client will begin to build the play therapy Shelter House world by adding warm fuzzy feelings (See link below), miniatures, clip art, and furniture.
Materials Needed for Play Therapy Doll House / Shelter Therapy House:
Regulation Shelter Therapy House or Play Therapy Doll House
Shelter Therapy Feeling Cubes (All Ages)
Fuzzy Feeling Accessories for Children
Alternate: Doll House Furniture & Other Miniatures
Directions for using the Play Therapy Shelter House / Doll House Technique:
1. Show the client, or student the play therapy Shelter House / Doll House, or Shelter Houses. Most therapist or school counselors start with one color of the Shelter House / Doll House and eventually add more to their collection. The ideal is to have a yellow, red, and a blue play therapy shelter house. This will allow the play therapy client which feeling house they wish to work in.
2. If you have a choice in your play therapy Shelter House / Doll House, allow the client to chose which one they wish to use. Note the color chosen, but always let the client translate what the color means to them. Never assume that you know the client's feelings based on a play therapy Shelter House color chosen unless they tell you what the color means to them.
3. Using the set of Feelers / Warm Fuzzy Feelings, allow the client / student to place them in the house. I always start out by asking the client / student to show me the "feelings" they have by placing the Feelers / Warm Fuzzy Feelings of choice in the house.
See the Feelers / Warm Fuzzy Feelings link below for more information on these unique play therapy tools.
4. Show the play therapy client your own collection of doll house furniture and miniatures that can also be added to the therapy process. You may wish to suggest that the play therapy client can build a play therapy Shelter House / Doll House world using the furniture, miniatures, or clip art.
5. Sit near the play therapy client to support them while they build their play therapy Shelter House world. Ask the client to tell you when they are finished. I often sit quietly with client while they build their house unless of course they want to talk while doing it.
6. After the play therapy client has finished building the world, ask them questions about the house, furniture, and miniatures. You may wish to have the client create a daily scene based on the miniatures that live in the play therapy Shelter House.
7. Pay close attention to the color of the play therapy house that was chosen and used for this activity. What does the color have in common with the furniture and miniatures that were chosen to go in the play therapy Shelter House.
*Continue to process the created play therapy Shelter House world with the client. Allow the client to be the ultimate translator.
This play therapy doll house activity is similar to using a sand tray. The only difference is that the play therapy client is using the play therapy Shelter House and dealing directly with feelings associated with color psychology.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: