This activity can be used in the classroom for teachers and school counselors. It is also a wonderful activity for parents to use for their children at home over the holidays. I show my school teachers how to do this holiday activity for the month of December.
Candyland Gingerbread House Activity for School Counselors, Teachers, and Parents for December
Rationale: This is truly one of the most magical activities I have ever done with elementary school children as a teacher and a school counselor. It takes some preparation and a lot of candy but the children will never forget this wonderful holiday experience.
Your students will never forget the magic you help create with this activity. So put the "teaching and textbooks" aside for an hour this year! Children need to have some fun in school, especially during the holidays.
I used this activity as the main event at our Elementary Winter Party just before Winter Break. I played holiday music and parents often came to help. At the end of the party the students had a lovely gingerbread Candy Land to take home for decoration. Of course, some students preferred to eat it!
Materials Needed for the School Counselor / Teacher / Parent Candyland Activity:
Assorted Colorful Candy
M & M’s
Colored Small or Large Marshmallows
Other Items Per Child:
1 Sugar Cone Per Child
Six to Seven Graham Cracker Cookies Per Child
1 Can of White Frosting Per Child
1 Empty and Washed Small Milk Container (The One Served at School) Per Child
1 Very Sturdy Paper Plate such as Chinett Brand Per Child
1 Plastic Knife Per Child
1 Plastic Grocery Bag or Pretty Clear Plastic Gift Bag Per Child
1. I usually get the school lunchroom trays and use one for each child. I put the assorted candy on each tray for each child. I also put the 6 to 7 graham crackers, one sugar cone, one paper plate, one milk carton, and one can of frosting with a plastic knife.
2. Each child can do this activity on their own, however, you may want to have some parent volunteers come in to help. I used to put these directions on the overhead and read it to the children as they assembled their own personal candy land.
3. Turn your plate upside down. This will be the base of your Candyland.
4. Take the plastic knife and spread ½ can of the white frosting on the upside down part of the plate.
5. Now, put your milk carton on the frosting (Clean out and staple the opening before hand.).
6. Frost your milk carton and add the graham crackers to the sides and top. The top will only need ½ of the graham cracker.
7. Frost the milk carton with the graham crackers attached. It should start to look like a house.
8. Next, put your ice cream cone upside down on the plate and frost it. This will be your tree. Green sprinkles look great on the tree.
9. Here comes the fun part! You can now add the candy and sprinkles to create your own fantasy candy land!
10. Allow your candy land creation to set and then place gently in a plastic bag. It looks very pretty when you get a clear or tinted plastic gift bag and tie the top of it with a fibbon.
Note: Students can take this home as a party favor to enjoy over the holiday season.
I have used this activity for years as an elementary school teacher, a school counselor, and a parent. One of my fondest memories was when I gave a Candyland Holiday Party for my son when he was seven. He invited three friends over to the house and we made the Candyland Gingerbread houses. My son has never forgotten this magical activity!
So if you want to be the best teacher, school counselor, or parent, try this wonderful activity. Your children will never forget this magical activity during the holidays. Also, this activity is multi cultural. All cultures can have fun with candy and gingerbread.
(c) Copyright 2013 by Creative Counseling 101.com
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: