This anger management activity can show a client how anger can build up inside a person.
It can also show the client that when they feel an angry tornado building up inside of them they can use coping skills to help defuse the anger.
Materials Needed for Anger Management Tornado Activity:
One Empty Plastic Bottle w/lid (rinsed and clean)
Paper and markers
Two drops of regular clear dish soap
One drop of Food Coloring (Red for anger)
Glitter: Red (Anger), Blue (Sad), Purple (Embarrassed), Green (Envy), Yellow or Gold (Happy), Multicolor (Mixed Feelings), Black (Anxious)
Water proof tokens of choice to represent some type of anger management meaning to the client.
Directions for Anger Management Tornado Activity:
1. Process with the client and discuss the wave of emotions being felt within the body (grief, stress, anger, etc.). Identify the color felt.
For example if grief is experienced it may be a blue color, anger might be red in color.
2. Explain to the client that emotional anger can look like a tornado inside us sometimes. The angry tornado does not stay forever, but comes and goes at different times due to events that happen to us.
Process what events might trigger an angry tornado to happen inside the client to help with anger management.
3. Ask the client to create a tornado in the bottle by adding water, food coloring, glitter, and tokens of choice. Make a bottle to demonstrate this.
Fill the anger management tornado bottle three quarters of the way with water. Add dish soap, food coloring of choice, and glitter, or waterproof objects (client’s choice).
Glue the top on to the anger management tornado bottle to keep it from spilling.
4. Shake the anger management tornado bottle up and down. Swirl it around. Make it resemble an angry tornado.
Now ask the client to do the same thing. Then come back to the bottle after a few minutes and see how calm the water in the bottle is.
5. Process with the client about how anger can “tornado” up inside of each of us.
Get the client to name some things they can do to calm the “tornado” inside of them. Make a list for the client to reference later on when they get angry, or upset.
6. The client can take the bottle home as a reminder that anger comes and goes. It is a natural occurrence with human beings. However, as with the tornado in the bottle things eventually settle down and go back to a normal baseline.
By using this visual, the client can understand their own anger and have a list of coping skills handy to go to when the anger strikes.
See More Anger Management Ideas Here
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: