I do this activity several times a week to check in with my own emotions and allow them to express themselves in a healthy, creative way. I find I truly get into this and it takes a lot of energy!
Here is one of my emotional art therapy paintings I did as part of my own art therapy journey. I named this artwork: "My Choices"...
Materials Needed for Art Therapy Emotional Art Activity:
- Some type of large canvas (Wood, butcher paper, drop cloth, old sheet, etc.)
- Assorted Acrylic Paint Colors
- Assorted Markers
- Small rollers, large and small brushes, squidgy, water spray bottle, rags, pastel paints, (anything to paint or draw with)
- Anything else such as glitter, faux jewels, pom pom balls, etc.
Recommended: Wear old clothes for this art therapy activity as it can get really messy!
Directions for Art Therapy Emotional Art Activity:
1. You will need an easel because you will use your entire body for the art therapy emotional painting activity.
2. Draw some squiggly lines on your canvas with a dark marker to begin your art therapy activity.
3. Next, begin rolling paint, brushing paint, squiggling, and spraying with water as needed for this art therapy activity. Add other materials as needed. The more water you spray the better!
4. This is a very physical art therapy activity. Go with your emotions…. Paint as much and as long as you need to. Allow your body to go with the flow and move where it wants to.
Try touching the paint and using your fingers, or take a rag and blot the canvas after painting on it. The goal is to create movement, texture, space, and color that represents your emotions at that moment.
5. Don’t worry about finishing the art therapy activity. Feel free to come back to it when you want to release your emotions.
6. Try to do this art therapy activity as often as possible as an outlet for your emotions (positive and negative). Create a collection of art therapy emotional art for your art gallery!
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: