Meet in the Middle Art Therapy Activity:
This activity is appropriate for all ages and can show clients that the answer usually lies somewhere in the middle.
Having clients look at the least case scenario and then the worst case scenario can help them find answers to their problems.
The actual act of putting it on paper is helpful to the brain as it organizes thoughts and opens up solutions.
Materials Needed for Art Therapy Activity:
Meet in the Middle Art Therapy Activity
Markers or Colored Pencils
Directions for Meet Me in the Middle Art Therapy Activity:
1. When trying to counsel your client through situations ask them to think of the worst case scenario, or the worst thing that could happen to them.
2. Then ask your client to think of the very least case scenario that could happen to them with the same situation.
3. Now, have them visualize what the middle of the worst case scenario and the least case scenario that could happen to them would be.
4. Explain to your client that in life things usually fall somewhere in the middle of our fears. This art therapy activity can show your client the range of extremes and minimizing’s of a situation.
5. Ask your client to draw or write words in the circles to emphasize the visual part of situations that are presented in therapy.
I actually use this activity with my coworkers when discussing how to handle a difficult student situation.
It helps put a counseling action in perspective, especially when you need to take action, such as calling DFACS, or getting a client to take treatment.
The above photo of the Meet in the Middle Art Therapy Activity is an actual real scenario with a client that was drinking too much and making homicidal threats.
He realized what he needed was to seek treatment to become healthy, live longer, and keep his marriage and kids.
You can find the printable worksheet below for the "Meet in the Middle" art therapy activity.
Disclaimer: This website and its content is intended for trained licensed mental health professionals and school certified mental health professionals to use for their clients / students at their own discretion.
*If you ignore the disclaimer above are using these techniques on yourself and you feel any discomfort or upset it is highly suggested that you seek out a licensed mental health professional immediately.
"Beyond Art Therapy" is the concept from Dr. Stangline that combines all creative fields in therapy. It is not the traditional "art therapy" but goes beyond to include sand tray therapy, play therapy, mindfulness, meditation, color therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and a vast majority of other therapies.
For any other type of mental health emergency call your local 911 / Police Number immediately.
Dr. Stangline does not offer advice / suggestions to anyone who is not a professional mental health provider, or a student who is studying this field and has questions about mental health programs of study.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's less than $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
New!!! "Beyond Art Therapy" 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Beyond Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: