Margaret Lowenfeld, M.D.(1920's London) was the very first to bring Sand Play/ Sand Tray into psychotherapy.
Dr. Lowenfeld watched her children play with the Orson Well's floor game's miniatures. She took these minaitures and others into sessions with her clients.
She worked mostly with children and encouraged them to make static and moving Sand Tray worlds. Basically, she was also one of the first “Creative Counselors” as she added art, music, and play to her client sessions. Her technique became known as the “World Technique”.
Her miniatures were mostly kept in drawers, but some were placed on shelves. She was responsible for creating the Lowenfeld Mosaic, Poleidoblocs, the Newspaper Game, outdoor play and messy play.
One of her most famous discoveries was that of “pre-verbal language” in children. This means that conventional language is limited when children try to express feelings and emotions.
It can also mean the language of the deepest part of the psyche, the one that does not use “words”.
She called the Sand Tray a “living language” of non- verbal words. The language uses visuals and miniatures to speak. Humans think with visuals at the deepest part of their brain (brain stem).
She also discovered that the Sand Tray can bring forth the conscious and the unconscious psyche. Once it has been brought to the Sand Tray both can finally heal and connect.
- Humans think in images, not words. They can see this in the Sand Tray.
- Refused the transference model of therapy. She believed in building a relationship with the client and the therapist’s job was to help the client express him or herself.
- She felt that the “World” and not the “Therapist” was the one to confront the “maker”. Helped the “maker” decode the sand tray therapy world they created.
- Believed that energy was blocked due to defense mechanisms, mental complexes, and prior belief systems. She also believed that the sand tray therapy released these energy obstructions.
- A Swiss Jungian analyst who worked with Carl Jung. She also studied under Lowenfeld.
- She further developed the use of the Sand Tray and called it Sand Tray Therapy.
- Believed that Sand Tray Therapy taps into the unconscious ego and the Self. She believed the fragile and wounded ego could be healed with the Sand Tray.
- Mother-Infant bonding was important to Kalff. The therapist-client relationship is the mother figure that helps with healing.
- The Self is the Primordial Wisdom or the Universal Consciousness.
- Trained in Archetypes Psychology. The miniatures were manifestations of the Archetypes.
- Displayed miniatures on open shelves for sand tray therapy clients.
- Believed in the sand tray therapy client’s transference and therapist's countertransference.
- Sand Tray Therapist must guard the free and protected space. She/he is the protector of the client’s fragile ego system.
- Sand Tray Therapist is the “silent witness.”
Dr. Gisela Schubach De Domenico:
- Developed Sandtray-Worldplay Therapy based on work with Kalff and extensive study of Lowenfeld.
- Believes Sand Tray Therapy accesses the deepest layers of the consciousness and can heal old ego wounds.
- For Dr. De Domenico, Sand Tray Therapy is a transformational tool for the client to explore personal ancestors, interpersonal, and personal realms of the psyche in reality.
- She believed that sand tray therapy awakens different bodies of human consciousness.
- It is a multicultural tool that taps into creativity, curiosity, critical thinking, capacity to analyze and think through life challenges and experience: past, present, and future.
Dr. Barbara Turner (Sand Tray Therapist Expert):
- Researched that actual healing of levels of development can occur int the sand tray.
- Used neuroscience research along with sand tray therapy research.
Dr. Steve Armstrong
- Experiental and Humanistic Approach to the Sand Tray Therapy
- Gestalt Trained and Registered Play Therapist
Armstrong, Steve (2012). http://www.sandtraytherapyinstitute.com/contact/
Kalff, M. (2003) Sandplay: A psychotherapeutic approach to the psyche.
Lowenfeld, M.(1950). The World Techniquehttp://vision-quest.us/vqisr/index.htm
Schubach De Demenico, G. (2012)
Turner, Barbara 2005). The Handbook of Sandplay Therapy
I truly hope that Creative Counseling 101 can open the creative doors for your practice with clients!
Learn how to be a more Creative Counselor / Therapist with the book that started it all!
Learn step by step therapy with over fifty-five creative counseling and therapy techniques and activities. Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award, 2012
Download Your Copy Today
The Creative Counseling 101
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95).
Your complete set includes: Creative Counseling 101 Creative Group Counseling 101 Creative Play Therapy 101 Creative Sand Tray Therapy 101
Order Your Complete eBook Set Today by Clicking The Link Below:
Only $98.95 for all four eBooksSee Complete Set of ALL eBooks For Sale
Get a year's worth of school counselor's guidance lessons, character education words, and social stories! Complete with lesson plans and behavior incentives.
This ebook includes 252 pages of step by step group therapy ideas for school counselors and professional therapists.
Group topics include grief, anger management, friendship, self-esteem, positive behavior, and stress management with colorful, reproducible worksheets.
Download Your Copy Today (See Below Link):
Creative Small Group Counseling 101 eBook
Learn about the creative sand tray therapy process. This is an exact replica of the graduate sand tray therapy class I teach at a major university in Atlanta. You get 147 pages of creative ways to do sand tray therapy. Also included are colorful, reproducible worksheets for your clients to use and take home.
Buy it today for only $39.95Sand Tray Therapy eBook Information and Order Form
You can now learn everything I teach to graduate counseling students with this Creative Play Therapy eBook. The eBook has 25 sessions (181 pages) with step by step colored lesson plans and reproducible worksheets. Learn how to use the play therapy doll house, puppets, miniatures, miniature worlds, the sand tray, and more! If you work with children or teens then this book is a must have item for your practice.
Download your Play Therapy 101 eBook today!
eBook Play Therapy Book only $39.99
More Information for the Play Therapy eBook & Order Form
Learn how to deal with bullies and mean teasers the emotionally intelligent way! Click the link below for more information: