Try this Reality Therapy Activity in the sand tray for maximum results in therapy!
Reality Therapy's Three Wishes Sand Tray Activity
This Reality Therapy Three Wishes technique comes from the work of Dr. William Glasser. Glasser believed that the client will identify the actual issue at hand by telling you three personalized wishes.
One of the wishes will be the actual problem, or issue, the sand tray therapy client is facing.
When the sand tray therapy client builds a sand tray they are actually confronting their collective unconscious themselves.
Therefore, the sand tray therapy client can process through their issue with the help of the therapist and come up with goals and solutions.
Directions for Reality Therapy's Three Wishes Sand Tray Activity:
1. Ask your sand tray therapy client to come up with three wishes in their life that would really make a difference if one or more of them came true. One of the wishes needs to be based in reality. Also, you can't wish for more wishes.
2. Process each of the three wish with the sand tray therapy client. What would they really gain if each wish came true and how would their life be better? Is this wish realistic?
3. Go over goal setting skills with your sand tray therapy client. What would it take to make one or more of the wishes come true in their life, and is it even possible?
4. Now, what responsibility, or actions, would they have to take to make the one true wish come true?
5. Ask the sand tray therapy client to build a sand tray based on these three wishes. There is no right or wrong way to build this sand tray. I have seen clients build a tray with three parts, or in groups of three parts.
Allow your sand tray therapy client to build a tray any way they want to build it.
Now process the sand tray with the sand tray therapy client. See what miniatures were placed on the reality based wish.
The sand tray therapy client may want to build another tray based on the wish based in reality therapy.
Reality Therapy Three Wishes Sand Tray Therapy Activity "Three Wishes" Extension:
After the sand tray therapy client has identified the Reality Therapy's three wishes and it is clear that one of the wishes is based in reality (the issue at hand) have them make a magic wand.
Put the "issue" on one side of the wand, and the goals, or solutions, on the other side of the wand.
See the below link for more directions for Reality Therapy's Three Wishes Wand Therapy:
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: