If you are a play therapist you need to be using play therapy masks in session. School counselors can also benefit by using these play therapy masks in school counseling groups, or individual sessions. Let us show you how to use these play therapy tools with your clients, or students.
Play Therapy Mask Making Activity
The purpose of this play therapy activity is to identify the different masks we wear in different situations.
When we wear masks we are putting on a facade. Help your play therapy client identify what masks they are wearing in different situations with this play therapy activity.
Materials for Play Therapy Masks:
-Cut out of the play therapy mask below on card stock paper
-Art supplies for decoration of the play therapy mask: paint, markers, glue, glitter, scissors, feathers, fake gems, yarn, etc. (See mask cutout below or have your client create their own)
- Large popsicle stick for holding the play therapy mask to the face.
Directions for Play Therapy Mask:
1. Ask the play therapy client to identify one feeling that they “mask” and try to hide.
What is the feeling they use to cover up the “hidden” feeling?
Process with the play therapy client how masks build walls in relationships.
2. The play therapy client, or student, will decorate the play therapy mask with the identified feeling. Add the popsicle stick to the bottom of the mask.
3. After decorating the play therapy mask ask the play therapy client, or student, the following questions:
- What does this play therapy mask mean to you? When do you need to put the play therapy mask on?
Why do you feel you need to wear the play therapy mask?
How does it protect you?
How does it hurt you?
- Put the play therapy mask up to your face. How do you feel when you wear the play therapy mask? Now take it off. How do you feel when you take the play therapy mask off?
- Ask the play therapy client, or student if they truly feel they are being true to their real self when they wear the play therapy mask.
How can they learn to take the play therapy mask off and let their real self show?
A feeling I try to hide behind a mask I wear is (Write the feeling below):
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: