Your play therapy client, or student, can create a cereal box theater and use clip art to create the play therapy puppets.
I use this play therapy activity as a warm up to play therapy miniatures. I like to start my play therapy clients out with clip art or miniatures that represent the play therapy client’s personal roles they take on in real life.
It is easier for a play therapy client to identify life roles and attach a miniature or clip art cutout than feelings.
Try this play therapy exercise before you introduce feeling miniatures to your client.
This fun play therapy activity teaches you how to create the play therapy puppet stage out of the cereal box.
Your play therapy client can decorate the stage with colored paper or construction paper.
Materials Needed For Play Therapy Activity:
- One large or small empty cereal box
- Clip Art or Magazine Cut outs
- Popsicle sticks or Pipe Cleaners
- Small props you can move around (seasons, places, past, present, future)
Magazine clip outs work well for the play therapy puppets needed in this activity.
Ask the client to preview some magazines before your session and bring the cut outs or clip art with them.
Think of how stage production uses props in a play. Create a setting or theme for your cereal box stage.
Other Materials You Could Use:
Markers Glue Glitter Sequins Fake Jewels
The Cast of Characters for the Play Therapy Cereal Box Theater: Ask the client to name several roles they have to take on in their daily life.
Examples are parent, employee, friend, daughter, son, sister, brother, artist, golfer, coach, teacher, mentor, etc.
Directions for Cereal Box Theater Play Therapy Activity:
1. Set up the play therapy cereal box theater. Cut out the front of the box to create a theater look.
2. Decorate the outside of the play therapy cereal box theater. Create props from colored paper or construction paper. You may want to think of how you would set a stage if you were writing a play on your own life. What would your personal set look like?
3. Take the clip art or cut outs from magazines and turn them into puppets or miniatures. Explore the character roles and ask each one why they are in the theater world? What job they do in the world? See more questions below.
Have the client create a past, present, future inner world. This can take up to three sessions to complete this activity.
Questions for the Play Therapy Cereal Box Theater World Play:
1. Who, what, why and where are your characters in this play? Identify the roles and why they exist in this play.
2. What do the role character play love, hate, or fear? Who are the heroes and who are the villains? If there are any negative characters, how can they be more accepted in this play?
3. What patterns happen is play therapy theater world? Which characters are responsible for the patterns of the play?
4. Who needs to change certain behaviors or attitudes in your play therapy theater world? Who do you need to dismiss from your play, or give another job to?
Who needs a lot of attention and why do they need so much attention? Who wants to change, and who is not ready to change? Who is getting in the way of needed change?
Who sets up road blocks, and who tears road blocks down? Who is in denial? Who is distorting the reality of the play therapy theater play?
5. What characters need to be added to your play therapy play? What characters are accepting and can help you with your own growth in self-awareness?
6. What props do you need in your play therapy play to help you move closer to self-awareness? Do you need to add or take away furniture, houses, cities, bridges, rivers, or mountains for protection?
7. Who has the all-or nothing thinking (black/white, good/bad, and winner/loser) in this play therapy play? Who is happy, sad, angry, active, or sedated in this play therapy play?
8. What do you want your future play therapy theater play to look like? What characters need to leave? What characters need to stay?
Who needs to change in order to be allowed to continue the play in the future? How do they need to change to make your life better?
Continue to seek training as a art / counseling therapist.
House-Tree-Person Art Therapy Technique
Catastrophe Scale in Art Therapy Activity
What do the colors mean in Art Therapy & Color Psychology?
Shelter House Art Therapy Technique
Art Therapy Group Counseling Activity Worksheet
Art Therapy Family Portrait Drawing
Art Therapy Self-Portrait
Art Therapy Assessment Drawing Technique
Art Therapy Interpreting Drawings
Get More Ideas Here: Creative Counseling 101 Home
Anger Management & Art Therapy Crinkled Paper Technique
Art Therapy Counseling Pictionary
Art Therapy Christmas Tree Drawing & World
The Three Animals Art Therapy Technique
The Kinetic Family Drawing Art Therapy Technique/a>
The Kinetic School Drawing Art Therapy Technique/a>
String of Lights Art Therapy & Genogram Drawing Technique
Art Therapy / Meet in the Middle Activity
Art Therapy / Anger Mangement Angry Snowball Technique
See More Art Therapy Ideas Here:
Learn how to be a more Creative Counselor / Therapist with the book that started it all!
Learn step by step therapy with over fifty-five creative counseling and therapy techniques and activities. Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award, 2012
Download Your Copy Today
The Creative Counseling 101
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95).
Your complete set includes: Creative Counseling 101 Creative Group Counseling 101 Creative Play Therapy 101 Creative Sand Tray Therapy 101
Order Your Complete eBook Set Today by Clicking The Link Below:
Only $98.95 for all four eBooksSee Complete Set of ALL eBooks For Sale
Get a year's worth of school counselor's guidance lessons, character education words, and social stories! Complete with lesson plans and behavior incentives.
This ebook includes 252 pages of step by step group therapy ideas for school counselors and professional therapists.
Group topics include grief, anger management, friendship, self-esteem, positive behavior, and stress management with colorful, reproducible worksheets.
Download Your Copy Today (See Below Link):
Creative Small Group Counseling 101 eBook
Learn about the creative sand tray therapy process. This is an exact replica of the graduate sand tray therapy class I teach at a major university in Atlanta. You get 147 pages of creative ways to do sand tray therapy. Also included are colorful, reproducible worksheets for your clients to use and take home.
Buy it today for only $39.95Sand Tray Therapy eBook Information and Order Form
You can now learn everything I teach to graduate counseling students with this Creative Play Therapy eBook. The eBook has 25 sessions (181 pages) with step by step colored lesson plans and reproducible worksheets. Learn how to use the play therapy doll house, puppets, miniatures, miniature worlds, the sand tray, and more! If you work with children or teens then this book is a must have item for your practice.
Download your Play Therapy 101 eBook today!
eBook Play Therapy Book only $39.99
More Information for the Play Therapy eBook & Order Form
Learn how to deal with bullies and mean teasers the emotionally intelligent way! Click the link below for more information: