Learn how to stop "reptile brain dysfunction" with brain therapy!
Rationale: The lowest part of the human brain derives
from a mammal-like reptile.
This part of the brain is often referred to as the “Reptilian Brain.” It’s the most ancient part of the brain and a fundamental core of the nervous system.
The “Reptilian Brain” controls bodily functions such as breathing, temperature, heartbeat, etc. It also houses the “fight, flight, or flee” syndrome.
Other reptile brain behaviors such as post traumatic stress, sexual drive, addiction, over eating, paranoia, obsessive-compulsive behaviors, rituals, and anxiety are located here.
This part of the brain is visual and responds well to miniature work.
1 bag of reptile or dinosaur miniatures or markers for drawing
1. Explain to the client about the “Reptilian Brain” and how stress can cause us to use this part of the brain. When we regress and use this part of the brain we are no longer using logic, only instinctual fear.
2. The goal is to catch yourself before you regress to the “Reptilian Brain”. Ask the client to relate to what they are feeling and then translate the negative feeling into a fear. Remember, all negative feelings come from a fear base. The client will then chose a miniature, or draw a picture of a reptile to represent this part of the brain.
3. Process with the client ways to avoid “Reptile Brain Dysfunction”. They may wish to try yoga, Tai Chi, Qigong, exercise, self-talk, massage, meditation, or hypnotherapy from a licensed mental health professional.
3. When we are self-aware we are less likely to use our “Reptilian Brain.” It is also helpful to understand our belief system and why we believe what we do.
Our belief system is set by the age of six years old. We rarely change our belief system unless we question and challenge it.
Humans are a combination of thoughts and patterns passed down through generations from well meaning family members. Yet sometimes humans get stuck in their beliefs and become rigid.
4. When the client becomes anxious, fearful, obsessive, addicted, etc. ask them to get their reptile miniature or picture out.
Then they can be reminded not to go into “Reptile Brain Dysfunction” and use coping skills to bring them back to rational thinking.
*Inspired by Candace Ford: World’s Greatest School Psychologist
Disclaimer: This activity is to be used by licensed mental health professionals only.
Learn how to be a more Creative Counselor / Therapist with the book that started it all!
Learn step by step therapy with over fifty-five creative counseling and therapy techniques and activities. Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award, 2012
Download Your Copy Today
The Creative Counseling 101
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95).
Your complete set includes: Creative Counseling 101 Creative Group Counseling 101 Creative Play Therapy 101 Creative Sand Tray Therapy 101
Order Your Complete eBook Set Today by Clicking The Link Below:
Only $98.95 for all four eBooksSee Complete Set of ALL eBooks For Sale
Get a year's worth of school counselor's guidance lessons, character education words, and social stories! Complete with lesson plans and behavior incentives.
This ebook includes 252 pages of step by step group therapy ideas for school counselors and professional therapists.
Group topics include grief, anger management, friendship, self-esteem, positive behavior, and stress management with colorful, reproducible worksheets.
Download Your Copy Today (See Below Link):
Creative Small Group Counseling 101 eBook
Learn about the creative sand tray therapy process. This is an exact replica of the graduate sand tray therapy class I teach at a major university in Atlanta. You get 147 pages of creative ways to do sand tray therapy. Also included are colorful, reproducible worksheets for your clients to use and take home.
Buy it today for only $39.95Sand Tray Therapy eBook Information and Order Form
You can now learn everything I teach to graduate counseling students with this Creative Play Therapy eBook. The eBook has 25 sessions (181 pages) with step by step colored lesson plans and reproducible worksheets. Learn how to use the play therapy doll house, puppets, miniatures, miniature worlds, the sand tray, and more! If you work with children or teens then this book is a must have item for your practice.
Download your Play Therapy 101 eBook today!
eBook Play Therapy Book only $39.99
More Information for the Play Therapy eBook & Order Form
Learn how to deal with bullies and mean teasers the emotionally intelligent way! Click the link below for more information: