A long time ago I used to use a catastrophe scale worksheet on clients and students that was very complicated.
I changed some things around and came up with this unique art therapy / visual imagery / critical thinking activity.
The “Catastrophe or Not?” worksheet is a simplified visual to help clients / students see if their issues are really a catastrophe, or not!
This activity is a good way to promote critical thinking with all ages. The visual imagery part of the activity will teach your client / student transfer and apply other situations in a critical thinking manner. It will also help clients / students to reframe thinking patterns when they are stuck.
Materials Needed for the Art Therapy Creative Thinking Activity:
“Catastrophe or Not?” Worksheet Below
Markers or Crayons
Directions for the Art Therapy “Catastrophe or Not?” Activity
1. Look at the waves on the worksheet. Ask the client which wave they think matches their problem and then color in the wave chosen.
2. Have the client / student draw a face and body on the stick figure.
3. Ask the client / student to visualize what it would be like to be soaked by the wave they chose. Would the wave wash them under the ocean, or just get them wet?
4. Once the client / student has completed the worksheet and visualization ask the client if the wave they chose was actually the correct one.
For instance, if you have a death in the family you would probably chose the highest wave. If you have someone call you a name you would probably pick one of the smaller waves.
Note: Basically, the smaller waves correlate to smaller problems. The bigger waves correlate to larger problems.
By using this worksheet and visual imagery technique the client removes exaggeration and can relate the problem to real life situations in a realistic way.
Step By Step Therapy:
Learn how to be a more Creative Therapist with the Book that started it all!
- Graduate School Counseling book used by hundreds of graduate counseling students!
- Includes full color reproducible worksheets with most activities.
- Winner of the Counselor Writer of the Year Award, 2011, Georgia Regional Award
Download Your Copy Today Only $39.95:
Get your complete set of the Creative Counseling 101.com eBooks by Dr. Michelle Stangline for only $98.95, that's only $25.00 per eBook (Regular Price is $39.95 for each eBook.).
Your complete set includes:
- Creative Counseling 101
- Creative Group Counseling 101
- Creative Play Therapy 101
- Creative Sand Tray 101
For more information click the link below:
Art Therapy 101 eBook
Over 300 pages of Art Therapy activities and techniques. Learn what I teach graduate counseling students!
See the link below for more information.
Only $39.95Art Therapy 101 eBook for Sale Link
See More Invividual eBooks For Sale:
Sand Tray Therapy 101 eBook:
Learn how to do Sand Tray Therapy or enhance your skills.
Play Therapy 101 eBook
Learn how to do play therapy or enhance your skills.
Small Group Counseling eBook For Sale:
Learn how to do creative group therapy and enhance your skills.
School Counselor Guidance Lesson & Social Stories eBook for sale:
Get a year's worth of school counselor guidance lessons with "Creative Warm & Fuzzy Classroom Guidance Lessons eBook". Introduce your students to the "Warm & Fuzzy Way". Click the link below for more information: